Visual experiences begin with light, and my intention is to portray the effects of light on the landscape. The California Impressionists, in whose tradition I follow, were determined to capture the true effects of light and its fleeting changes. Like them, I paint an “impression” rather than render fine detail, resulting in unfocused color and form creating the image. My subject matter is the coast, the Eastern Sierras, and the desert.
See more at frannicholsart.com
- Maturango Museum — 2 One-Man Exhibitions
- Plein Air National Competition finalist — 2017
- UART Pastel National Competition finalist — 2017, 2016
- Torrance Artists’ Guild (TAG) Best of Show — 2016
- Pastel Society of Southern California (PSSC) Doug Dawson Award — 2015